On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 04:48:21PM -0400, Thomas M. Sasala wrote:
>       In any case, why does smtpd return 256 and throw away the
> mail?  I have records of a good transaction (all commands get a +OK)
> yet smtpd exits with 256 and the mail is eternally lost.

What do you mean with "smtpd exits with 256".
If you mean the termination code of the smtpd process that is more or
less irrelevant, as that isn't seen by the remote system and you cannot
rely on that code. Why do you think you can? I cannot find any mention
of its significance in "man qmail-smtpd".

If I recall right, Dan posted some weeks ago on this list, he didn't
think people would rely on the exit code, but he will use informative
exit codes in the next release.

As with disappering messages:
smtpd simply accepts the email and hands it on to other processes (qmail-queue).
You probably have some misconfguration which makes the message go to
nowhere without notice.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | you funny and you need