Hello,

First, I would like to thank any contributor, and especially
D.J.Bernstein, for giving the community this great alternative.
To my knowledge, our young company is the first to have setup qmail down
here in Tahiti (French Polynesia).
We got definitely convinced to give it a serious try after attending an
excellent tutorial
in LinuxWorld expo (San Jose March 1999).
Our local airline company has now switched, and we are working with the
government to help them swith
from sendmail to qmail (1500 users).

Eventhough I feel somehow aquainted with qmail,  I still have a few
points
unresolved, for which I would be quite grateful to anyone who could and
would actually help me solve them (yes I have read the faq and ALL the
doc)

a) control/locals
Let's say I'm trying to have my qmailhost server locally delivers mail
for my top domain, eg "esoft.pf", and some of its sub domains as well,
eg "sales.esoft.pf",  "edu.esoft.pf" etc.. That means that qmail-smtp
and qmail-send would have to accept mail adresses like [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
So far, I have had to put a separate line for each allowed subdomain in
control/locals.
My questions are :
- Is that the only way to do it ? If not, which are the other ways?
- Is that the best way ?
- Is there a way we can use wildcards, like ".esoft.pf"

b) control/rcpthosts
For the mail to be received for those subdomains, I added a separate
line in control/rcpthosts, and it works fine.
Now, this server working inbound and outbound, it will have to accept
ANY mail on port 25 (qmail-smtp) from internal employees using local
clients like  "outlook express" or "Netscape Messenger', and handle
remote delivery for any external address. I understand that this means
this server will have to be configured as a RELAYCLIENT.

I have read how to set up the RELAYCLIENT environment variable, so
that's one solution.

Now, my question is about the use of wildcards within rcpthosts as
another solution. It is said in the qmail-smtpd man page (8), that
rcpthosts may include
wildcards, in the form ".domain", meaning "accept any address belonging
to <domain>". I tested it and it works. Now, in the sake of coherence,
what is the reason
why rcpthosts does not accept the record made of the dot itself ".",
meaning "accept any address belonging to any topdomain", which would be
another simple way to setup RELAYCLIENT='' ? I may be missing
something...

c) For some reason, I have a employee, lets's say "jean", that works at
home, and who gets his email thru a mailbox at our ISP : all email
received by this ISP
and matching the address "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" goes to his mailbox. So far, so

good.

The problem I'm having here is that my qmailer being configured to
locally deliver any mail to "esoft.pf" (see question a),
it considers the address "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to be local (cf point a) and
does not deliver messages for jean thru my ISP. Here is my question :
What would be the best way to configure qmail to have this specific
address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) remotely delivered to my ISP (say "mail.pf"), so

any local mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] would eventually end-up in his remote mailbox. ?
I thought of putting

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]:alias-myisp

in "control/virtualdomains",
then setting up

      ~alias/.qmail-myisp-default ($DEFAULT holding "jean", and $HOST
holding"esoft.pf")

but I just do not seem to find out what to put in
~alias/.qmail-myisp-default so messages controlled by this file
are actually sent to '"$DEFAULT"@"$HOST"' thru my remote isp (mail.pf).

[A wonderful  "ecard"  rendering our beautiful lagoons to any one
helping me solve those issues"

Thank you

Franck PORCHER
Essential Software

begin:vcard
n:PORCHER;Franck
tel;work:(689) 56 23 95
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.esoft.pf/
org:Essential Software
adr:;;BP 4206		;Papeete;Tahiti;98713;Polynésie française
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Fondateur & gérant. Founder & Executive Director
x-mozilla-cpt:;2240
fn:Franck PORCHER
end:vcard