Todd A. Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 16 October 1999 at 17:06:47 -0700
 > My date offset seems to have aquired a problem since I moved from sendmail
 > to qmail when mailing from the command-line using /bin/mail under Red Hat
 > 6.0. I get the following date:
 >
 >      Date: 16 Oct 1999 23:55:55 -0000
 >
 > while sending from pine returns:
 >
 >      Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 16:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
 >
 > Any ideas as to what's wrong, and how I can fix it?

Nothing is wrong; the first date says just before midnight GMT (that's
what the "-0000" means.  The second date shows just before 5pm Pacific
Daylight Time (that's what the "-0700" means).  Assuming you performed
those two tests one minute and 40 seconds apart, everything is working
perfectly.

qmail uses GMT for any header timestamps it adds because:  When
tracing mail across timezones, it's easier if they're all displayed in
the same timezone, and because if you want them displayed any
particular way that's a good task to assign to the displaying program,
*and* because by not trying to find the local timezone, Dan avoids
having to reimplement that part of the standard C library (he avoids
using the standard C library because it's insecure and buggy on too
many systems).
--
David Dyer-Bennet **Update your records, forwarding expires soon** [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ (photos) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon