Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm not to concerned about attaching a couple hundred bytes to all my
> outgoing e-mails, but I certainly wouldn't want those bytes to be a
> picture of me.  I don't think that there are that many people in the
> world who want my face looking at them from their computer screen.  If
> they _do_ want pictures of me, they can probably figure out where to
> find some.

There are some interesting human interaction theories behind X-Face.  A
large part of the initial concept was to present a face to the people
you're interacting with electronically, which can have the effect of
reminding people that they're interacting with a human.  At least some
people will tend not to gratuitously flame as much when they're seeing a
human face.

Given the minimal byte cost, I don't think it's a particularly harmful
experiment.  I'm personally paranoid enough that I'd rather not widely
advertise what I look like to any random person, but that's just my
personal hang-up.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>