I have about 25 people using MS Outlook 98 to retrieve their email from my
qmail 1.03 server.  Their Outlook clients access qmail through the Internet
Email agent in Outlook.

It requires a typical setup:
- incoming mailserver
- outgoing mailserver
- username, password
- other options

All of my users have Outlook set to delete their messages from the server
when they are retrieved by Outlook.

Starting on 10/30 I had a situation develop where the messages in the
Mailbox files on my qmail server do not get deleted when the email is picked
up.  As we have Outlook set to check for incoming mail every 10 minutes on
each desktop, the users receive the same mail over and over and over and
over.  FLOODING HAS COMMENCED!

I setup this mail server back in June and have basically ignored it other
than periodically checking into the server.  Therefore, I really don't
believe that anything changed on my qmail server that would have caused this
to begin occurring suddenly.  I have seen the problem before for one
particular user, but I assumed that he was doing something wrong, and I
fixed it up by deleting and recreating his ~/Mailbox file.

As I mentioned above I use Mailbox files.

/var/spool/mail/<typical user mailbox> is linked to <user home dir>/Mailbox
a typical dir entry for one of these files looks like this:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 nbur     mailuser       22 Apr 21  1999 nbur ->
/opt/mail/nbur/Mailbox

the /opt/mail/nbur/Mailbox file looks like this:
-rw-r--r--   1 nbur     mailuser        0 Nov  3 12:23 Mailbox

Do I have the permissions set funny?

Why does it happen sporadically?  Once I fix a user it may or may not happen
again - that day or some other day, but it is happening to more users more
frequently since this past weekend (10/30)?

Does it have something to do with Halloween or Day Light Savings Time?
(>humor<)

I use the /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail script from Dave's lwq faq to control
qmail.

Can anyone point me on the right track to fixing this??

Many many thanks!

Scott Burkhalter
VP Eng
Entyre Doc Prep, Inc.