> The second question I will leave to the qmail gods..

Not a Qmail God by any stretch of the imagination but here goes...

> 2) Any outgoing mail to a server other than what is in the rcpthosts file
> will get kicked back to me with an error.  I cannot possibly list every
> conceivable host on the Internet!  Can I put a wildcard in there?  FWIW--
My
> MX record on the DNS is still only set to pointing to my current email
> server (gandalf -- an entirely different machine)..  I was going to wait
> until I have tested this new qmail server out fully before making any
> changes.  Could this be the problem?

I'm gonna start with an assumption here (dangerous, I know).  I assume you
can send mail fine from the Qmail host but other hosts in your domain can
not send mail through the Qmail server to the net.  If the is the case, and
you are using tcpserver, then you need to allow your Qmail server to relay
mail for hosts in you domain.  If your network in 1.2.3, then you can add
the follow: '1.2.3.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""' to your /etc/tcp.smtp file.  Now
run:

tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp
chmod 644 /etc/tcp.smtp*

Now your Qmail host will accept SMTP mail from any host in the 1.2.3
network.  If you have other networks you need to relay, add them to
/etc/tcp.smtp as well.

Also see: http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html (a very good doc, thanks
Dave!!!)

Specifically: http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#relaying