On 19-Oct-99 Arnold, Josh A. wrote:
> Based on everything I've been able to gather, the ultimate solution consists
> of multiple qmail servers accessing a NetApp filer via NFS.  In the past, I
> had heard that Linux's NFS implementation was somewhat buggy.  I'm sure that
> it has since been made more robust, however I'm curious if anyone else is
> using a similar setup on a large scale?  I'd be interested in hearing about
> any setups that involve multiple servers accessing a NetApp filer.  Finally,
> with cost being much less important than scalability, performance, etc. what
> would typically be the bottleneck in a setup like this?  The connection from
> the servers to the filer will be gigabit ethernet.  If it makes sense, I'll
> throw quad xeon/1G ram/etc. on all the servers, but I suspect most of it
> would be wasted.  Thanks.

300.000 users and counting... LInux, NFS. No ldap yet, but going there... Mysql
and dump to CDB databases to manage users... Use 2.2.13, SMP is probably not a
safe choice with NFS rigth now, we are keeping away from it for now... Follow
Alan Cox's diary to see NFS/SMP issues... Follow AC kernel's if you have to go
that way.

Bottleneck? assuming that you have enough horse power, bandwith is the issue...
Use Intel boxen. Put at least a scsi drive in each frontend for queue.

buy a alteon switch (ace director 3 is enough). Put http and smtp on each box,
create a virtual ip on alteon switch and put all the the boxes on the same
group (alteon stuff). Use different interfaces for each service (alteon bug).

Assuming you have a vip (alteon stuff) for smtp, put 2 mx records
(primary and secondary) pointing to the same ip address (hotmail trick, finally
understood it :)

use nocol or similar to monitor services, and mrtg to see what's going on (have
new stuff to mrtg monitor a qmail system... will clean up and send).

have fun, lot's of tea, sit back and relax... been doind netapps+linux+alteon
for a year now... No complains, no downtime. just works

---
Pedro Melo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
IP - Engenharia de Rede <http://ip.pt/>
Av. Duque de Avila, 23, 1049-071 LISBOA - PORTUGAL
tel: +351 21 3166740/00 (24h/dia) - fax: +351 21 3166701