On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, scott f. lanes wrote:

> I dont process much other mail on this server at all. almost all (about
> 98%) of the lines when I type 'mailq' are labeled as 'done'. From what I
> understand this means that the message has been delivered to some of the
> recipients, but those 'done' lines wont be cleared out of the queue until
> the message is delivered to *all* of the recipients. Is this actually the case?

/var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat tells you how many messages are in the queue.

mailq shows you one line per recipient. All list messages stay in the
queue for 7 days simply because there is always at least one subscriber
that is "permanently deferred", so 20K recipients / 1800 subscribers = 11
messages. 1-2% not done means that 1-2% of the recipients are deferring.

Congratulations, you have a lightly loaded perfectly running qmail
installation. The reason you don't use the maximum concurrency is that
there isn't enough work to do ;-) Stop worrying, and apply the latest bind
and apache security fixes instead ;-)

-Sincerely, Fred

Fred Lindberg, Inf. Dis., WashU, St. Louis, MO, USA