Dave Sill wrote:

> >It's obvious that 150 MB of mail is a lot to process on such a pokey
> >little machine, but it seems a bit odd for the machine to completely
> >choke and die.
>
> If you push an underpowered system running antiquated software to the
> breaking point, don't be surprised if it breaks.
>
> Is that 16 MB RAM parity, ECC (:-), or pot luck? Do you have adequate
> swap?
>
> If qmail croaks a system, either the hardware or the OS is buggy.
>
> -Dave

The swap space is 50 MB, which seems adequate to me.

I realize that the machine is old, and is running software that has
updates, but the point is that a heavily loaded mail program shouldn't
*kill* a machine.  I would understand slow performance.  How can you be
sure that the hardware or the OS is buggy, and not qmail?  I'm not that
familiar with qmail.  Could it be that qmail could be reconfigured to
handle mail without bringing the system to its knees?

MC