On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 03:21:29PM +0100, Thomas Booms EDV wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-default I've made my local alias name as the
> only entry, so I get mails from root and other nonusers. Before I made
> this change, mails from root were gone into Mailbox in this dir. Mails
> to info@<domain> I receive too. I think that it is coming through the
> entry with my local alias name.
>
> My server hosts multiple virtual domains, so I want to deliver per
> domain one separate info@<domain> and so on.
>
> Testmails to real user names on domains are delivered, but no unknown
> users. Til now I didn't found the solving in the doc.
>
> I've read the faq and the howto docs, but the problem I didn't got
> solved.
>
> ~/.qmail, ~/.qmail-default, rights on this files and Mailbox-Directories
> were not solving my problem too.
>
> Further I have probs understanding what's "dash" and "ext" in the
> ~/user/assign file which is described in qmail-users.html. Possibly the
> solving is to search here, but I don't understand some parts.
>
> If you need more infos, let me know. I try to answer you.

I tend to repeat myself when these questions arise:

The "nowhere.mil:bob" in virtualdomains alternative

If you use the "nowhere.mil:bob" in virtualdomains, then all mail is
delivered to the user bob.

This effectively mean that mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] is delivered to
~bob/.qmail-info if it exists, and otherwise to ~bob/.qmail

If you want to forward the mail form "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]", then put the line

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

in ~bob/.qmail-info (no leading spaces).

(repeat with help, etc. One .qmail-file for each.)

The "nowhere.mil:alias-nowhere" in virtualdomains alternative
This is better if bob also is a normal user, and he and the system
administrator wants to keep the nowhere.mil mail out of his user
account.

The mail is delivered to the .qmail-files ~alias/.qmail-nowhere-*

This means that mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] is delivered to
~alias/.qmail-nowhere-info

Thus, put the line

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

into ~alias/.qmail-nowhere-info and you are all set for this forwarding.
(Repeat with help, etc. One .qmail-file for each.)

The fastforward-alternative
===========================
This is the best alternative for a bigger virtual domain.

Put "nowhere.mil:alias-nowhere" in virtualdomains
and install the fastforward package
<http://www.qmail.org/koobera/www/fastforward.html>.

Then put every alias for nowhere.mil in /etc/aliases
like this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Finally put the line

| fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb

in ~alias/.qmail-nowhere-default

(Compile the aliases file with /var/qmail/bin/newaliases)

Also take a look at some of the following answers to vdomain-alias-FAQ:s

http://x42.com/qmail/doc/vdomains1.txt

http://x42.com/qmail/doc/vdomains2.txt

http://x42.com/qmail/doc/vdomains3.txt

--
Note: Today is an ODD DAY (all digits odd); 1999-11-17. It is the last but one
      for a very long time. The VERY LAST one in our lifetime will fall coming

http://x42.com/datelab/