Does a mailserver always look at the MX record, and not the A record for a domain?
Back a few years, I know we had a problem related to mail going to the webserver
instead the mailserver, when the domain was set up with an A record that was different
than the IP address of the hostname pointed to by MX. Does this still count, or is
this a solved issue?

ex. zone config where a http request will go to test.com/192.168.1.1 and mail to
test.com will go to mail.test.com/10.10.10.10

; Zone file for: test.com
@                       IN  SOA ns.domain.com. hostmaster.domain.com. (
                                1999112214  ; serial number
                                28800       ; refresh
                                7200        ; retry
                                604800      ; expire
                                86400     ) ; minimum TTL
; NS records
@                       IN      NS      ns.domain.com.
@                       IN      NS      ns1.domain.com.
@                       IN      NS      nn.domain.net.
; MX records
@                       IN      MX      10      mail.test.com.
@                       IN      MX      20      mail1.domain.com.
; Zone records
@                       IN      A       192.168.1.1
mail                    IN      A       10.10.10.10
www                   IN      CNAME   www.domain.com.

BTW: test.com and domain.com in this example has nothing to do with the real domains
out there.
IDG New Media     Einar Bordewich
System Manager   Phone: +47 2205 3034
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]