I am looking for some information on how frequently does qmail retry to
send a message, locally or remotely, and when it gives up and bounces it
back to the sender. So far I've found an excellent source in Dave Sill's
document "Life with qmail" (App. E ) but he only mentions the remote
retry schedule, so now I wonder:

(a) Where can I find the local schedule?

(b) If I want qmail to give up after, say 10 retry attempts, do I put
the value 32400 into /var/qmail/control/queuelifetime and that should do
the job?

(c) Does queuelifetime mean _any_ message regardless if it's local or
remote?

(d) Can I hack qmail retry  more/less frequently, e.g. by modifying some
value in the source code?

Many thanks in advance!

cheers
Fred