> > I've just installed qmail on SuSE Linux 6.3. I followed the
> > instructions
> > in the how-to, as well as reading the various install files,
> > man pages,
> > etc., but it's not working.
> Did you stop all the sendmail stuff. In Suse 6.3 you'll have to set
> START_SMTP=No in rc.config. And you'll have to edit inetd.conf. Otherwise
> sendmail sits on your smtp port.

I've removed Sendmail from the system, so that's not the problem.

> > After executing startup commands, the only process showing up
> > after 'ps
> > x' is the supervise process, and executing 'echo to: mpayson |
> > /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject' has no apparent effect.
> Did you check /var/log/mail?

There's one "status: local 0/10 remote 0/20" followed by "cannot start:
qmail-send already running" an hour or so later. The system has been
restarted more then once since than, but no further entries have been
recorded. This may (or may not...) be because I switched from trying to
start it with inetd to the recommended tcpserver.

> > Attempting to send
> > a message with Netscape says "server replied 'Null'".
> This message is normally displayed, if you are not allowed to establish a
> smtp connection. It might be caused by your tcpserver-configuration.

Possibly. Netscape's running on a different machine, so maybe I don't
have everything configured properly between the two. That had crossed my
mind, but I wasn't sure if the problem was related or not. Again, I
configured the tcp.smtp file based on the how-to (verbatim-- it looks
like it should be the smae on my network), so I *think* it's correct.