If you search the archives for posts of a week or two ago from me, you will
find some relevant stuff on this topic.

Basic summary: I have the technology to do this - I can authenticate users
based on any criteria in my patched up UW-IMAP server. However, there needs to
be some more work done to nicely package up my work so that others can easily
use it: creating an interface to checkpassword, writing documentation, creating
a web-site, etc. I kind of said on the list "hey, I can do this, but people
need to want it" and I only heard from a few people that said they want my
code.

Basically, I'm waiting to hear from the "community" that this is a wanted thing
before I spend the time to package it up.

So, if you want a checkpassword (and any other interface people write the C
glue code for) compatible bundled POP3/IMAP server that talks Maildir, send me
an e-mail and let me know you want it.

(I've had a few people lobby me to specifically lay this out and ask the list
for a yes or a no on this project, so that's why I'm writing this e-mail.)

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services