On 17 Dec 1999 13:34:39 -0000 , "Petr Novotny" writes:

> On 17 Dec 99, at 7:28, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > The inability to do header rewriting without making
> > two trips through the queue causes a severe performance
> > hit, if you are doing anything other than low volume.
>
> Rewriting headers of all messages is a severe performance hit. Or
> can you instruct sendmail not to? I couldn't find how.

Rewriting headers chews up CPU.  Re-enqueueing the
message (in qmail) causes between 4 and 5 (serial)
fsyncs, which pretty much dwarfs any latency introduced
by scanning and rewriting the headers of the message.

> > That is forwarding with only one trip through the queue.
>
> You mean reading "aliases" before delivering, and therefore
> deciding to forward immediately? Maybe with some tweaking, the
> current virtualdomains code might do that.

Yep, that's pretty much what I mean.  Unfortunately,
it severely violates qmail's "philosophy."

--
Chris Mikkelson  | ... a pet peeve of mine is people who directly edit
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | the .cf file instead of using the m4 configuration