On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 05:57:30PM +0100,
  Arne Hanssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) Some days ago on this list, some guys were discussing whether
>    Return-Path is set by the MUA or the MTA.  This is an issue for
> me as I have (had?) problems with this, using mutt.  Even if I try
> to include a "my_hdr" it will not work; my mail is refused by my
> ISP because "sender domain must exist", and of course Return-Path
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (my local machine) does not exist.  I want
> Return-Path to be <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Return-Path is set by the MTA at final delivery (which may include
programs).

> Reading docs I discover that qmail-inject strips away any occurence
> of Return-Path (the person arguing that this header value was solely
> a matter of the MUA must be wrong, or I'm missing something?).

qmail-inject allows you to use this header to set the envelope sender
address. It is possible to set this a couple of different ways.

> I have now made a change in .muttrc (set sendmail="..qmail-inject
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]") and it might be working now.  Hopefully there is
> no drawbacks(?)
> Anyone who wants to comment on this (and perhaps explaing "things"
> to me)?  ;-)  Perhaps there are better ways to set the correct
> Return-Path.

You might want to use the environment variable QMAILHOST to set this for you.