At 12:03 29/12/99 +0100, you wrote:

>rcpthosts is scanned every time an email comes in (by qmail-smtpd).
>
> > But then again, if you need to administer a file with like 900
> > significant lines, you'd like to use some automatic tool for that. It's
> > easy to adapt that tool to work with morercpthosts and cdb format.

so, the "most frequently used domains" rule is a vague one then...

What is more effective?
         - searching a fairly empty (5 lines) rcpthosts file and then
searching morercpthosts

or
         - just searching a large rcpthosts file.

Does the speed in searching a cdb more than outweigh the multiple file
handling/access delay?

If so, I'll just bung the few "static" things (like the machine names) in
rcpthosts, and make the mysql->rcpthosts script generate morercpthosts, and
also run qmail-newwhatsit.

what do we think?

cheers

peter