On Tue, 28 Dec 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I installed Corel's Linux and there is a function in the xwindows client
> for starting q-mail. It will ask you the name of the server etc and install
> all existing users. It works great and is pretty hard to screw up.
>
> I am having one problem though. When handing off mail to the server from a
> POP3 client it can take up to a couple of minutes. Retrieving mail is a
> couple of seconds?
>
> Any ideas?

It is probably the same problem as I experienced.

I experienced the following:

My machine was connected with dialup to the internet. It had a caching
DNS. If I was not connected to the internet all requests to the POP3 port
worked the following way: a long wait before the POP3 server greeted the
client. Afterward it worked normally.

It was due to the long time to resolve a DNS query, since there was no
connection to the internet and the hint zones were in the DNS config, so
it tried to ask them. It of course took a long time to timeout all
connections to the unreachable hint servers.

The solution was to took out hints from the DNS if not connected to the
internet.

Robert Varga