Dan wrote, in 1996:
> ``In case anyone's curious: I use void main() because it shuts gcc
> up.

Of course, a modern version of gcc (I just tested 2.8.1) will warn
about "void main()" even if you don't give it warning flags.  (I asked
for this to be the case, back in 1996 when Dan said that; I can't
remember whether the maintainers had already made the change in the
development sources or if they did so in response to my asking.)

As to Russell Nelson's assertion that "int main" is a gratuitous
innovation in C, I think that he's confused.  "void" didn't even exist
in early C, and the semantics of the return value from main() were
probably in place long before void was added.  I don't have any
references to back up my beliefs, though.