On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Greg Hudson writes:
>  > As to Russell Nelson's assertion that "int main" is a gratuitous
>  > innovation in C, I think that he's confused.
>
> In 1st edition K&R, main() wasn't treated as a subroutine, was never
> declared "int main", and there was no discussion of the meaning of a
> return value from main.  Was I confused or not?

No you weren't.  The second edition *does* address return from main().
The first two paragraphs (which I don't feel like typing in) on page
26 cover it - the gist of it is that "programs should return status to
their environment."  Note the word  should  is used.  I seldom return
anything from main unless I plan on calling the program from some kind
of script.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
   128K ISDN: $24.95/mo or less - 56K Dialup: $17.95/mo or less at Pop4