On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 08:43:57PM +0100, J.M. Roth iip" wrote:
> Ok, sorry I meant virtualdomains.
>
> As I said I would like a backup in case example.com AND the queue for it
> fail.  This I've done with the MX records.
>
> One disadvantage is, since the domain must be in rcpthosts on the 3rd machine
> to receive anything, *if* mail is sent using this machine as outgoing mail
> server, it doesn't even get sent to example.com, even though it's higher
> preference...
> Got it?

No. This is just not the case. rcpthosts only affects *incoming SMTP* mail, and
it has no affect whatsoever on where mail is ultimately delivered. It only
determines whether your SMTP server will accept the message at the SMTP "RCPT
TO" command. It will *not* cause a lower-preference mail exchanger to ignore
better-preference ones.

Set up the best-preference mail exchanger normally (with the domain in
rcpthosts and either locals or virtualdomains). On the non-best-preference mail
exchangers, put the domain on rcpthosts only. This is how it's done.

Chris