    I cannot seem to search the archives to see if this has been discussed.

    There used to be a control file called recipientmap that is not there
anymore.  I recall someone commenting that people were using it as an
aliases file instead of using the .qmail files.  I have a very good use
for this file, and now that I need it, it isn't there anymore.  I am hoping
that someone can show me a good way to do this:

    Suppose I am responsible for the mail for qmail.org, with 1000
addresses.  I set up a mail server someplace called mail.qmail.org,
put qmail.org into the locals and rcphosts.  Mail is working fine.
    Now, I set up an office in chicago for this company, with 20
users behind an ISDN line.  I install a linux box on the LAN,
(mail.chicago.qmail.org) and configure qmail on it so that local
users can use it as an SMTP server.  I'd like them to check their
mail on this machine, also, which means having 20 of the addresses
on the main machine go to this machine.
     This part is easy.  On mail.qmail.org, I add a line to smtproutes:

chicago.qmail.org:mail.chicago.qmail.org

     I then put chicago.qmail.org into locals and rcpthosts on
mail.chicago.qmail.org, and for every user that is in this office
(e.g., alice,bill, and cindy), I create .qmail files on mail.qmail.org:

.qmail-alice:&[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.qmail-bill:&[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.qmail-cindy:&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

     Now, when anyone sends email to one of the Chicago users, the
main server has an "alias" that sends their mail off to the Chicago
machine, which puts it into their mailbox.
     Now comes the problem.  If Alice sends an email to Bill, she
sends it to the local SMTP server, mail.chicago.qmail.org. She is
sending it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Since this machine does not handle
email for qmail.org, it finds the MX record, and sends it on to
mail.qmail.org (over the ISDN line).  mail.qmail.org then sends it
back after applying the alias.  Thus, local mail has to be sent
off of the LAN before it can reach the local user.

     With recipientmap, the solution is to put these lines into
recipientmap on mail.chicago.qmail.org:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

     Now, mail stays local.  Since I no longer have recipientmap, I
wonder what the solution is.  One solution is to put qmail.org into
mail.chicago.qmail.org's virtualdomains file.  Then I can create
aliases for all of the local users.  The problem is that I must also
create aliases for EVERY qmail.org user, so that anyone not on the
local machine has their mail sent to the main server.  This would be
a pain to administer, especially when there are dozens of local offices.

     Any thoughts?

- --
Jack McKinney
The Lorentz Group                     http://www.lorentz.com
F4 A0 65 67 58 77 AF 9B  FC B3 C5 6B 55 36 94 A6