On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:26:13 -0500 (EST) , Dave Sill writes:
> >I guess my point was this: if you don't do anything
> >fancy, i.e. your box does not do forwarding, rewriting,
> >etc., then setting up a high-volume qmail server is
> >pretty straightforward.
>
> Forwarding is not "fancy" or expensive with qmail.

Forwarding and rewriting in qmail do pretty much
the same thing: deliver to some alias-controlled
account, and then re-inject the message into the
queue.  That's the expensive part, because then the
message must go through qmail-send again.

Since re-enqueueing the message involves several
fsync()s, I think any overhead associated with
scanning the message content pales by comparison.

> Rewriting is expensive because it's generally the wrong thing to do.

Well, as I said above, I don't agree on the "expensive"
aspect.  Could you elaborate on the wrongess part?

--
Chris Mikkelson  | For example, I could be a sentient PERL script.  That
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | pretty much assumes that someone brilliant enough to