"Muhammad Ali" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'll be highly thankful to you if U suggest me with the settings
>which I have to made at my company. I am replacing five mailservers
>running smail with Qmail. the layout is described with the
>attachement. Would U plz. let me know the settings .....thanx.
>
>[big, hairy picture looking something like this, I think
>
>  mailserver.mynet.com.pk                 gatekeeper.mynet.com.pk
>             |                                    ^
>             |                                    |
>             +------> Welcome.mynet.com.pk <------+
>]
>
>I need two way mail routing between "welcome" & "gatekeeper". All of
>these three servers were running smail. I replaced "mailserver" with
>Qmail for one way delivery of messages, i.e., from Internet / Outside
>to mynet. "welcome" basically is a relaying machine. Whenever an
>outbound mail arrives at welcome, it decides whether it is for
>mynet.com.pk or not. If it is not, then it forwards it to
>"gatekeeper".  Mailserver only receives mail from outside destined to
>"mynet.com.pk" and delivers it to "welcome".
>
>On mailserver:
>
>In locals, localhost
>
>In rcpthosts, mynet.com.pk
>
>Localhost
>
>Mailserver.mynet.com.pk
>
>In defualthost, welcome.mynet..com.pk
>
>In smtproutes, :welcome.mynet.com.pk
>
>Now I wanna replace "gatekeeper" with Qmail. I wanna make it open
>relay so that it can send messages to anyone, but accept messages
>only for "mynet.com.pk" & then forward it to "welcome.mynet.com.pk"
>What do U think abt this configuration:
>
>In locals, localhost
>
>In smtproutes, mynet.com.pk:welcome.mynet.com.pk
>
>In defaulthost, welcome.mynet.com.pk
>
>No rcpthosts,
>
>But I think that I am a little bit wrong somewhere..... would U
>plz. Let me know where?

So:

  "mailserver" is externally accessible, and passes everything to
  "welcome",

  "welcome" is a relay/gateway, relaying mail from "mailserver" to
  "gatekeeper", mail from anywhere internal to "gatekeeper", and
  delivers everything else (external) itself, and

  "gateway" is an internal mail server or hub

"mailserver" is already running qmail and does what you want?

Now you want to switch "gateway" to qmail?

Is "gateway" accessible from outside your network? If so, don't remove
rcpthosts, set up selective relaying for your internal network.

I think you want the following on "gateway":

    locals: localhost
            gateway.mynet.com.pk
            mynet.com.pk

    smtproutes: :welcome.mynet.com.pk

Which delivers gateway and mynet.com.pk locally, but sends everything
else to welcome.

-Dave