On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 11:24:41AM +1100, Stephen Mills wrote:
> Im running Redhat 5.1 on our main server here, and I read an article on the
> front page of qmail.org about hosts_options not compiled into tcp_wrappers
> which results in tcpserver not working properly and looking up the remote
> hosts IP address...It seems Redhat 5.1 and under has a broken tcp_wrappers
>
> Ive been using qmail for over 2 years now, and Ive gotten selective relaying
> to work on Redhat 5.2/6.0/6.1 and Slackware boxes...
>
> I have tried to recompile tcp_wrappers 7.6 with hosts_options installed but
> selective relaying still does not work, im copying the new "tcpd" file to
> inetd but it still doesnt work, ive also tried copying tcpd file from a
> Redhat 5.2 box that is working with selective relaying fine and no luck.....
>
> My last resort is "upgrading" to Redhat 6.1 on the main server, but before
> doing so, maybe there is something Im not sure about.
>
> So, can anyone identify what Im doing wrong with tcp_wrappers ? This has
> been an ongoing problem and Im yet to resolve it.

The standard answer to any question in which "inetd" appears is "use tcpserver
instead." So here's my suggestion: use tcpserver instead. You get it as part of
Dan's ucspi-tcp-0.84 package, available at http://cr.yp.to. To configure it for
selective relaying, see http://www.palomine.net/selectiverelay.html. It's easy
to set up--certainly a lot easier than upgrading your whole OS.

See the archives for all the reasons why tcpserver is better.

Chris