I did read the web page, but I don't understand if the packet itself has to
end with a \r\n ... what if the next packet actually has the \r\n in it, but
qmail didn't read it because it already sent the error message?

If you've telnetted to port 25 and are typing in commands directly, each
character gets it's own packet, so qmail-smtpd must be listening for \r\n to
find things to act on, yes? So, why does this packet give qmail problems?

-ben