Rawlinsons (Qld) Head Office writes:
> I've printed the text files from the Windoze box, but haven't saved
> them back anywhere, so it's not a CR/LF issue.

I suspect it might be exactly that.  WinZip may have changed the line
endings from LF to CRLF, which would certainly break qmail's Makefile.

> I can't see any files named "setup" or "check" in the qmail
> directory in my home directory on the Linux box. I'm not familiar
> with how "make" works, so I'm not sure what the relevence of the
> items on the command line "make setup check" is.

`setup' and `check' are the names of targets for make; targets often
correspond to files, but don't have to.  In a Makefile, this:
target: dep1 dep2 ...
        command
means that `command' should be run if any of the `dep's (dependencies)
are newer than `target', or if `target' doesn't exist.

paul