I have in the past recieved a bounce message from aol (actually from one of
their servers) when I tried to e-mail a non-exsistant user.  It's likely, with
aol's huge userbase, that a mistyped name would match someone elses username
though, and then that person would probably ignore the message, and then it'd
seen that aol dropped the message when it should've bounced it when it really
was delivered, just to the wrong person...  just a thought..
  -Brian