> Fair enough. However, you'll find that you'll get better help from the
> qmail list people (myself included) if you define things such as
> "failed". Without details that could be anything from
>
>     - causes the machine to catch on fire
>     - something in between
>     - does nothing

Failed in this instance was a signal 11 on postfix (2 machines)
and a signal 213 on sendmail (2 machines)

>     You'll see this problem if you try to use the sendmail version of
>     vacation.  Use Peter's vacation program instead.  [ Peter Samuel]

Ahh, but I cant use someone else's version of vacation because I am
assisting the current maintainer of the sendmail vacation (Sean Rima)
with debug testing on RedHat machines. That is precisely why I was
trying to find out if anyone else had/wanted to use this with
qmail. Again a matter of not inventing the wheel. There also appear to
be some 50% Slackware people who are also seeing this problem and we
are trying to narrow it down. The maintainer has run both postfix and
sendmail on a Suse box w/o problemsi with vacation.

My first test with qmail results in the following:

<\feral, "|vacation feral"@rock.neandertal.org>:

This is actually a copied .forward -> .qmail so I really didnt expect
it to work. I just wanted to see the first error.

I personally just slapped a procmail script onto the machine to get it
to work and I know it would likely work on the qmail box because I have
procmail as the mail/filter in qmail.

"All data leaves a trail. The search for data leaves a trail.
The erasure of data leaves a trail.The absence of data, under
the right circumstances,can leave the clearest trail of all-
Dr. Kio Masada"