I fixed my problem.

After hours of adding arg and env dumping code to qmail-remote, running many
times, etc. I finally got around to running the same command line as qmailr
as I was running under my standard account.

A comparative strace showed me that the qmailr execution couldn't read
various things in /etc, and hence I discovered that /etc had somehow become
chmod 750-ed. Naturally, this was affecting various other things (like the
locate database update), but they were all further down the list than
getting qmail going.

The thing that compounded my problem was that my standard account is in the
root group, so it wasn't affected by the problem. Any other user and I'd
have nailed the problem much sooner.

My thanks to those who responded.

IanC

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or
otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal
rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know
by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not
copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone.