On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> Which brings up a natural question:  What, in general, is supposed to
> happen if a program is unable to proceed before it enters main(),
> e.g., because the dynamic loader could not get the memory it needs?
> (My guess would have been that the process should commit suicide
> rather than just exiting, perhaps by sending itself a SIGSEGV or
> SIGABRT.)

Every dynamic linker I know (and I have seen having fatal problems during
startup) commits suicide with SIGKILL. This is probably the best thing you
can do.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."