>> Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? The
>
>> disk IO is very low and my computer is *really* sleeping,
>
>> with a load average (uptime etc) of approx. 1.4..
> A loadaverage of 1.4 means you have on average 1.4 task
> waiting to run. Or,
> to put it in percentages: your machine has 140% of it's time
> filled with tasks that want to run.
> Even for an idle quad Xeon, that is way to high.

A slight correction there, the uptime program gives a load
average accumulating on each and every process. If five
processes want 100% processor time, you will get an
output from 'uptime' saying '5'.

An average of 1.4 is high, but absolutely not as high as
140% of your computer's resources!! ;)

1.4 might mean that I have 10 processes requesting 14%,
but that's not the same as a 140% processor load.

Andreas

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen
Software Developer