qmail Digest 4 Apr 2000 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 961

Topics (messages 39448 through 39485):

question about mail
        39448 by: Luka Gerzic

About virtual domain and IP aliasing
        39449 by: Pablo Martínez Schroder

Re: vpopmail, virtual users on virtual domains always gives
'Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name.'
        39450 by: Markus Fischer
        39453 by: Markus Fischer

qmail and mailstone
        39451 by: Mitja Sarp
        39458 by: markd.bushwire.net

Re: qmail-smtpd on SCO OSR5.0.5
        39452 by: Bruno Wolff III
        39456 by: markd.bushwire.net

Re: Poor documentation of anti-spam options?
        39454 by: Peter van Dijk

Init scripts for smtp and pop3 services
        39455 by: Antonio Navarro Navarro

Unable to send remote messages
        39457 by: Gilberto Rodrigues
        39459 by: markd.bushwire.net
        39460 by: Petr Novotny

Perl regex patch for badmailfrom envelope checks
        39461 by: Will Harris

supervise and multilog running, qmail not.
        39462 by: Jennifer Tippens
        39463 by: Dave Sill
        39474 by: Jennifer Tippens

Re: vpopmail, virtual users on [...] -> solved!
        39464 by: Markus Fischer

question and need for help... :(
        39465 by: Luka Gerzic

qmail relay opened
        39466 by: Luis Bezerra
        39473 by: Peter van Dijk

syslogd and qmail problem
        39467 by: Ricardo D. Albano
        39468 by: markd.bushwire.net
        39469 by: Greg Owen
        39470 by: Greg Owen
        39479 by: Ismal Hisham Darus

Re: Need a little insite please
        39471 by: Greg Owen

Re: Perl regex patch for badmailfrom envelope -- Re: Poor documentation of anti-spam
options?checks
        39472 by: Barbara Koch-Hoffmann
        39483 by: Will Harris
        39484 by: Uwe Ohse
        39485 by: Will Harris

Re: Qmail Anti-Spam HOWTO
        39475 by: Chris Hardie
        39477 by: Jonathan McDowell
        39478 by: Chris Hardie

permissions on messages
        39476 by: Jennifer Tippens

should I use ulimit too ?
        39480 by: Irwan Hadi

Problem with yahoo.com
        39481 by: Ismal Hisham Darus
        39482 by: iv0

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello!

here is the problem... :)

I have user A and i have user B. I need to copy all incomming and outgoing mail
from user A to user B. System is on Qmail 1.03 and Qmailpop3d. Maildir support
and lot of users. How can i do that ?

Thank's for help.

----
D r e n i k   N e t w o r k s  /  Y u g o s l a v i a

Luka Z. Gerzic
Graphic design, prepress, html, networking
home page:  http://www.linux.drenik.net
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / GSM +381 64 11 0 29 56

Hi there!

I have some domains hosting in a computer, and I'm starting to apply
bandwith management over them, so I have each domain hosted in an IP.
With this I can control FTP and HTTP traffic, but I cannot manage the
SMTP traffic because mail is throwed from the "primary IP" of the
interface.

I think it's nearly impossible to send mails from an IP matching the
domain's IP, but is there any way?

Or an idea how to manage the SMTP traffic?

Thanks
--
Pablo Martínez Schroder
Departamento de Administracion de Sistemas

PS: I'm really sorry for my poor English, but today I'm a little bit
sick, and cannot think clearly :_(

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 01:34:33AM -0400, anindya wrote :
>       quick check: is testdomain.com in /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts?
        Yes it is.

> and what is the contents of your /var/qmail/control/{default|locals|me}?
default does not exist

locals contains _not_ any of the virtual domains (testdomain.com)

me contains:
ns1.atplus.net

> The output of /var/qmail/bin/qmail-showctl might be helpful also.

        no abnormal output :(

> Also what happens if you telnet to localhost 110 and enter
> POP commands manually?

        pop authentication works without problems also for
virtual domains/users, but of course the boxes are empty. but it
works.

thanks for your time, any additional ideas ?

        Markus

--
Markus Fischer,  http://josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at/~mfischer/
EMail:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello Klaus,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 03:18:41PM +0200, Klaus Hviid wrote :
> here is a little checklist - see if you have remembered everything.....

        er... sorry, which checklist ?

> I had the same error once - I'd forgotten the d in qmail-pop3d init-script :)

well, my init script in full ist pasted here:

alias_empty="./Maildir/"       # This uses qmail prefered ~/Maildir/ directory
logger="splogger qmail"

        echo -n "Starting mail-transfer agent: qmail"
        sh -c "start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --user qmails \
                 --exec /usr/sbin/qmail-send \
                 --startas /usr/sbin/qmail-start -- \"$alias_empty\" $logger &"
        # prevent denial-of-service attacks, with ulimit
        ulimit -v 4096
        sh -c "start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --user qmaild \
            --exec /usr/bin/tcpserver -- \
            -u qmaild -g 65534 -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb 0 smtp \
            /usr/sbin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | $logger -t qmail -p mail.notice &"

        # Uncomment the following lines to automatically start the pop3 server
        sh -c "/usr/bin/tcpserver -g1002 -u1002 \
            0 pop3 /usr/sbin/qmail-popup `hostname`.`dnsdomainname` \
            /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /usr/sbin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &"

        echo "."
        ;;

but I have to note that all services are running properly, pop3
authentiactiopn for virtual users on virtual domains does work !

and local mail deliver does work too for system users but just not virtual
users on virtual domains :(

than you, maybe you have additional idea ?

        Markus

--
Markus Fischer,  http://josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at/~mfischer/
EMail:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Public  Key: http://josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at/~mfischer/C2272BD0.asc
PGP Fingerprint: D3B0 DD4F E12B F911 3CE1  C2B5 D674 B445 C227 2BD0
                - Free Software For A Free World -

I'd like to do some mail benchmarking, and netscape's mailstone seemed to be
a good choice. Running the smtp-test gives the following result though:

nurja[9374]     t=954768787: mailclient (4.1 built Jun 21 1999 12:03:47)
nurja[9374]     t=954768787: procs=1 threads=1 seconds=10 ramptime=10...
nurja[9375]     t=0: Child starting
nurja[9375]     t=0: readResponse(6) errno=0: Error 0
nurja[9375]     t=0: Error reading [QUIT] response: errno=0: Error 0
nurja[9375]     t=0: ERROR process=0 thread=0 sendCommand(6, 'QUIT') errno=32: Broken
pipe
nurja[9375]     t=0: Error sending [QUIT] command to server: errno=0: Error 0
nurja[9375]     t=0: readResponse(6) errno=0: Error 0
.. etc

When running from tcpserver, running from inetd gives a similar result, but without
'Broken pipe' at the end.

It seems to work with sendmail servers though. I understand there's nothing wrong
with qmail and this is just some mailstone stupidness. Adding a 'closing connection'
after 221 QUIT message (sendmail-style) in qmail-smtpd didn't help either.

/Mitja

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 05:02:48PM +0300, Mitja Sarp wrote:
> I'd like to do some mail benchmarking, and netscape's mailstone seemed to be
> a good choice. Running the smtp-test gives the following result though:
>
> nurja[9374]     t=954768787: mailclient (4.1 built Jun 21 1999 12:03:47)
> nurja[9374]     t=954768787: procs=1 threads=1 seconds=10 ramptime=10...
> nurja[9375]     t=0: Child starting
> nurja[9375]     t=0: readResponse(6) errno=0: Error 0
> nurja[9375]     t=0: Error reading [QUIT] response: errno=0: Error 0
> nurja[9375]     t=0: ERROR process=0 thread=0 sendCommand(6, 'QUIT') errno=32:
>Broken pipe
> nurja[9375]     t=0: Error sending [QUIT] command to server: errno=0: Error 0
> nurja[9375]     t=0: readResponse(6) errno=0: Error 0
> .. etc
>
> When running from tcpserver, running from inetd gives a similar result, but without
> 'Broken pipe' at the end.

Hmm. This is the code fragment in qmail-smtpd:

void smtp_quit()
{
  smtp_greet("221 "); out("\r\n"); flush(); _exit(0);
}

So the mailstone program should be seeing this response to the QUIT. Are you in a
position to tcpdump or recordio the traffic?

Regards.

This sounds a little like a problem that was reported to the bugtraq
list last week.
There are some places that are sending back broken packets. From memory,
it was in response to pactkets setting socket options and these options
were sent back as data. This primarily affects linux systems.

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 07:39:13AM +1000,
  Jon Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm having a problem whereby SMTP connections from certain mail-servers work
> fine and from other servers there is a big problem (all packets appear to
> disappear or get disregarded). Most of the ISP's servers fail (including the
> secondary MX).
>
> The ISP has:
> 1) Traced the packets as far as the ISDN router.
> 2) Double checked the router config.
>     and say that everything is fine ...
>
> The router (CISCO 801) maps ports 25 and 53(TCP & UDP) through to the SCO
> box.
>
> qmail-smtpd is running under tcpserver with -v for logging purposes ...
>
> The config for qmail is very simple.
>
> Some servers at the ISP can (and do) telnet to port 25 and get a "good"
> connect and manage to get through the smtp session and mail entered is
> delivered.
>
> Others receive the "banner" but everything else sent gets "lost" and
> eventually
> the session times-out.
>
> There are no "deny's" on the router or on SCO,(that I can find)
>
> What can any-one suggest ... depression is setting in.
>
> Jon Jenkins

It seems like using -o on tcpserver fixed this problem. -o stops tcpserver
from calling setsockopt().

Discovered by running qmail-smtpd from inetd from where it worked just
fine.

Regards.

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 09:04:53AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> This sounds a little like a problem that was reported to the bugtraq
> list last week.
> There are some places that are sending back broken packets. From memory,
> it was in response to pactkets setting socket options and these options
> were sent back as data. This primarily affects linux systems.
>
> On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 07:39:13AM +1000,
>   Jon Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm having a problem whereby SMTP connections from certain mail-servers work
> > fine and from other servers there is a big problem (all packets appear to
> > disappear or get disregarded). Most of the ISP's servers fail (including the
> > secondary MX).
> >
> > The ISP has:
> > 1) Traced the packets as far as the ISDN router.
> > 2) Double checked the router config.
> >     and say that everything is fine ...
> >
> > The router (CISCO 801) maps ports 25 and 53(TCP & UDP) through to the SCO
> > box.
> >
> > qmail-smtpd is running under tcpserver with -v for logging purposes ...
> >
> > The config for qmail is very simple.
> >
> > Some servers at the ISP can (and do) telnet to port 25 and get a "good"
> > connect and manage to get through the smtp session and mail entered is
> > delivered.
> >
> > Others receive the "banner" but everything else sent gets "lost" and
> > eventually
> > the session times-out.
> >
> > There are no "deny's" on the router or on SCO,(that I can find)
> >
> > What can any-one suggest ... depression is setting in.
> >
> > Jon Jenkins

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 03:33:00PM -0500, Chris Hardie wrote:
[snip]

> I would be happy to make an attempt at this documentation, as long as
> folks agree that it would be useful, and would be willing to provide
> feedback on what I come up with.

I'll give feedback :)

Greetz, Peter.
--
Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder

| 'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot;
|  C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.'
|                             Bjarne Stroustrup, Inventor of C++

Hi all !

I have a RedHat Linux box with qmail + vpopmail. The SMTP service is
started using tcpserver, and POP3 is started using inetd. I want to set up
both services to be started/stoped using tcpserver. Where can I find a good
script for doing this ?

BEGIN OF CONF.SECTION OF FILE : /etc/inetd.conf

pop-3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup server.bemarnet.es
/var/qmail/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

END OF CONF.SECTION OF FILE : /etc/inetd.conf

BEGIN OF FILE /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail

#
# /etc/init.d/qmail : start or stop the qmail mail subsystem.
#
# Written by Christian Hudon
# fixed by Adam McKenna :p

PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/var/qmail/bin:/var/qmail/ezmlm:/var/qmai
l/popusers/bin
USERID=502    # CHANGE THIS TO YOUR QMAILD UID!!!
GROUPID=501  # CHANGE THIS TO YOUR NOFILES GID!!!

case "$1" in
    start)
        echo -n "Starting mail-transfer agent: qmail"
        csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &' >> /dev/null
        supervise /var/lock/qmail-smtpd tcpserver -c 400 -q
-x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
        -u$USERID -g$GROUPID 0 25 qmail-smtpd &
        echo "."
        ;;
    stop)
        echo -n "Stopping mail-transfer agent: qmail"
        PID=`ps -eo pid,comm | awk '{ if ($2 == "qmail-send") print $1}'`
        killall -TERM qmail-send
        svc -dx /var/lock/qmail-smtpd
        echo "."
        ;;
    restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;
    reload|force-reload)
        echo "Reloading 'locals' and 'virtualdomains' control files."
        #PID=`ps -eo pid,comm | awk '{ if ($2 == "qmail-send") print $1}'`
        killall -HUP qmail-send
        ;;
    *)
        echo 'Usage: /etc/init.d/qmail {start|stop|restart|reload}'
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

END OF FILE /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail

Antonio Navarro Navarro
BemarNet Management
http://www.bemarnet.es
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I installed qmail v1.03, daemontools v0.70 and ucspi-tcp v0.88 on a Sun
server to test them and now I'm following the delivery test procedures
provided by qmail package.

All the daemons are running, and I can send local-local and local-error
messages, but when I try to send a local-remote message, it gives me
CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3) no matter what is the
recipient e-mail address.

I have another server running SendMail and it can send messages normally
through the MX server (identified as mailhost in sendmail.cf). In the
machine where I installed qmail, qmail-SMTP daemon is running and put my
MX server in smtproutes as above:
qmailserver.company.com:mxserver.company.com

What can be wrong? Do you need more information?

Gilberto

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 04:59:11PM +0100, Gilberto Rodrigues wrote:
> I installed qmail v1.03, daemontools v0.70 and ucspi-tcp v0.88 on a Sun
> server to test them and now I'm following the delivery test procedures
> provided by qmail package.
>
> All the daemons are running, and I can send local-local and local-error
> messages, but when I try to send a local-remote message, it gives me
> CNAME_lookup_failed_temporarily._(#4.4.3) no matter what is the
> recipient e-mail address.
>
> I have another server running SendMail and it can send messages normally
> through the MX server (identified as mailhost in sendmail.cf). In the
> machine where I installed qmail, qmail-SMTP daemon is running and put my
> MX server in smtproutes as above:
> qmailserver.company.com:mxserver.company.com
>
> What can be wrong? Do you need more information?

Yes. How about you give us the exact information from the log files and
smtproutes rather than cloaking them? If you've been on this list for
any time at all you'll see that cloaking irritates the hell out of people
as it makes it very hard to diagnose and it often covers up the true
nature of the problem that the poster hasn't though about, particularly
DNS related issues.

Can you resolve MX entries on the test system? If so, show us the successful
MX lookup of the same domain name that is failing the remote delivery.

Regards.

--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've made a patch which allows you to use a new control file,
badmailfromperl, to specify Perl regular expressions to be used when
checking the validity of the envelope sender.

http://will.harris.ch/bmf-perl.tar.gz

regards,
Will

Hoping somebody can help me...
I set up qmail as in LWQ.
If I start qmail with /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail start
it says it started.  but ps -A | grep qmail yeilds nothing.  If I do a
/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail stat, it says that the processes are running-- the process
numbers it lists are non-existant.  I checked /var/log/qmail/current, it contains
nothing.  I tried to telnet to port 25, then checked /var/log/qmail/smtpd/current, and
it says
biglongnumber tcpserver: warning: dropping connection, unable to run
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd: access denied
permissions on it are:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root qmail 26108 Apr 3 04:12 qmail-smtpd

I'm stumped, but since I've installed qmail before with no trouble, I'm hoping to hear
something like I forgot something really obvious.

Thanks for any help,
Jennifer

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I tried to telnet to port 25, then checked
>/var/log/qmail/smtpd/current, and it says
>biglongnumber tcpserver: warning: dropping connection, unable to run
>/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd: access denied
>permissions on it are:
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root qmail 26108 Apr 3 04:12 qmail-smtpd

What does:

  ls -ld / /var /var/qmail /var/qmail/bin

show? What happens when you try to run qmail-smtpd interactively?
E.g.:

  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

I suspect that either a directory mode is hosed or /var/qmail/bin is
on a filesystem mounted with the noexec option.

-Dave

Ah, Ha!  Doh.  Oops.
drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 4096 Mar 29 07:59 /
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 Apr  3 04:06 /var
drw-r--r-- 11 root qmail 4096 Apr 3 05:00 /var/qmail
drwxr-xr-x  2 root qmail 4096 Apr 3 04:12 /var/qmail/bin

sooo...
chmod 755 /var/qmail

That was the answer I needed.  Thank you so much! It is working now.
-Jennifer

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 Dave Sill  wrote:

> What does:
>
>   ls -ld / /var /var/qmail /var/qmail/bin
>
> show? What happens when you try to run qmail-smtpd interactively?
> E.g.:
>
>   /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
>
> I suspect that either a directory mode is hosed or /var/qmail/bin is
> on a filesystem mounted with the noexec option.

Just for anyone interested (mostly for people using debian!):

Compiling vpopmail with ./configure leaves a problem:
'vadddomain' needs to call 'qmail-newu' after modifieng
/var/qmail/control/users/assign . ./configure detects
'/var/qmail/' and assumes 'qmail-newu' is in '/var/qmail/sbin/',
which is _not_ true for debian (potato at least).

So after 'vadddomain' calling 'qmail-newu' re-generates
/var/qmail/control/users/cdb and now the virtual user on the
virtual domains do work.

Maybe vpopmail's ./configure should be clever enough to detect
where 'qmail-newu' actually is (e.g. in $PATH)

thanks go to all poeple who helped my and iv0 which gave me free
assistance on irc, thank you ;)

Markus

--
Markus Fischer,  http://josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at/~mfischer/
EMail:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Public  Key: http://josefine.ben.tuwien.ac.at/~mfischer/C2272BD0.asc
PGP Fingerprint: D3B0 DD4F E12B F911 3CE1  C2B5 D674 B445 C227 2BD0
                - Free Software For A Free World -

here is the situation. i need to monitor person A incomming and outgoing
mail.
All mail that person A recieve or send, need to be copyed to person B. Can
anyone help me out ?

----
D r e n i k   N e t w o r k s  /  Y u g o s l a v i a

Luka Z. Gerzic
Graphic design, prepress, html, networking
home page:  http://www.linux.drenik.net
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / GSM +381 64 11 0 29 56

Hello everyone,

my qmail MTA is accepting mails like

test%test.com.br

anyone has one patch for resolve this problem?

regards

--
-----------------------------
Luís Bezerra de A. Junior

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 04:10:40PM -0300, Luis Bezerra wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> my qmail MTA is accepting mails like
>

> test%test.com.br
>
> anyone has one patch for resolve this problem?

Unless you did something wrong, it is not delivering these mails.

It is therefore not a problem.

Greetz, Peter.
--
Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder

| 'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot;
|  C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.'
|                             Bjarne Stroustrup, Inventor of C++

I get in problems, I'm running qmail in a large site as inbound relay. After
a few days running qmail the perfomance decrease a lot, makeing the system
practically unoperable. I run a top to see the resources utilised by each
proccess and I notice that syslod is usgin 95% os the CPU !!!, this makes
the system very very slow, the queue continusly grow up while the cpu% is 95
and upper. The solution for this is killing syslogd, after this the system
continue worksing well, accepting connections and deliveryng the queued
mails.

At the first time I think this is a corrupt Linux installation, but I do a
second cleany install of the entry system and get in the same problem...

Any ideas ???, how can I tell qmail daemons to log via another "syslog" ??

RDA.-

What did you think of the suggestion in FAQ 7.7?

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 04:13:57PM -0300, Ricardo D. Albano wrote:
> I get in problems, I'm running qmail in a large site as inbound relay. After
> a few days running qmail the perfomance decrease a lot, makeing the system
> practically unoperable. I run a top to see the resources utilised by each
> proccess and I notice that syslod is usgin 95% os the CPU !!!, this makes
> the system very very slow, the queue continusly grow up while the cpu% is 95
> and upper. The solution for this is killing syslogd, after this the system
> continue worksing well, accepting connections and deliveryng the queued
> mails.
>
> At the first time I think this is a corrupt Linux installation, but I do a
> second cleany install of the entry system and get in the same problem...
>
> Any ideas ???, how can I tell qmail daemons to log via another "syslog" ??
>
> RDA.-
>

> I get in problems, I'm running qmail in a large site as
> inbound relay. After a few days running qmail the
> perfomance decrease a lot, makeing the system
> practically unoperable. I run a top to see the resources
> utilised by each proccess and I notice that syslod is
> usgin 95% os the CPU !!!, this makes the system very very
> slow, the queue continusly grow up while the cpu% is 95
> and upper. The solution for this is killing syslogd, after
> this the system continue worksing well, accepting
> connections and deliveryng the queued mails.

        Syslog is a pig, and under heavy load, it will kill your system.
That has been my experience with it.

        Multliog from daemontools is supposed to be better; I've not run it
under the same load as the system I killed with syslog, so I can't vouch for
it.  But I trust it is since DJB tends to know what he's doing.

> Any ideas ???, how can I tell qmail daemons to log via
> another "syslog" ??

        The installation described in "Life with qmail" uses multilog
instead of syslog (but make sure you remove the 'splogger ...' from
/var/qmail/rc!).

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> What did you think of the suggestion in FAQ 7.7?

        IIRC, 'cyclog' (referred to in FAQ 7.7) has been replaced with
'multilog' in newer versions of daemontools.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

does anyone knows how to log the kernel if using the multilog ? i
manage to log the deamon process but not the kernel.

Ismal Hisham Mohd Darus
Asst. Manager, System Support
John Hancock Life Insurance (Malaysia) Berhad

> > > See http://www.ohse.de/uwe/misc/backupmx.txt for why i dislike
> > > backup mail servers.
> >
> > 'file not found.'
>
> Ugh. Fixed.

        Based on my reading of that, you don't dislike backup MX servers,
you just dislike ISPs who misconfigure them.

        There's lots of other (good) ways and (good) reasons to use backup
MX servers.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

it seems that we continously revent the wheel......

1. This patch does already exist (see below).
2. All the SPAM discussion is a ricochet of the old stuff - why doesn't
qmail have a good documentation.....

Pls. have a look at my WEB page:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Erwin_Hoffmann/spam.htm.

It give some information about what has been talked around.

Sincerely --- Erwin.

Will Harris schrieb:

> I've made a patch which allows you to use a new control file,
> badmailfromperl, to specify Perl regular expressions to be used when
> checking the validity of the envelope sender.
>
> http://will.harris.ch/bmf-perl.tar.gz
>
> regards,
> Will

On 20:38 3.04.2000, Barbara Koch-Hoffmann could be heard musing
 >Hi,
 >
 >it seems that we continously revent the wheel......
 >
 >1. This patch does already exist (see below).
 >2. All the SPAM discussion is a ricochet of the old stuff - why doesn't
 >qmail have a good documentation.....
 >
 >Pls. have a look at my WEB page:
 >
 >http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Erwin_Hoffmann/spam.htm.
 >
 >It give some information about what has been talked around.

Well, it would be nice if your patch were listed on the qmail
homepage.  Poor documentation as you say.

But your patch doesn't do what mine does - you use the INN wildmat pattern
matching system, which is not very powerful.  I have embedded a Perl engine
into qmail-smtpd which allows you to use Perl's excellent pattern matching
system.  If you can show me how to block the range of IP addresses
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.0.0 with one filter with your patch, I'll agree that I
have rather foolishly reinvented the wheel.  Here's my regex to do the job:

/172.(?:1[6-9]|2[0-9]|31).[0-9]+.[0-9]+$/

One line, nice and simple.

regards,
Will

   "I was going to be a Neo-Deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me..."

  multimedia laboratorium                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  institut fuer informatik                        (pgp id)        F703D035
  der universitaet zuerich                        (office) +41  1 635 4346
  winterthurerstr. 190                            (fax)    +41  1 635 6809
  ch-8057 zuerich                                 (mobile) +41 76 372 0913
  switzerland                                     www.ifi.unizh.ch/~harris

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 10:47:38AM +0100, Will Harris wrote:

> /172.(?:1[6-9]|2[0-9]|31).[0-9]+.[0-9]+$/
>
> One line, nice and simple.

add "wrong".

1.172.31.111

You should really use \. and ^

Regards, Uwe

At 10:28 4.04.2000, Uwe Ohse wrote:
 >On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 10:47:38AM +0100, Will Harris wrote:
 >
 >> /172.(?:1[6-9]|2[0-9]|31).[0-9]+.[0-9]+$/
 >>
 >> One line, nice and simple.
 >
 >add "wrong".
 >
 >1.172.31.111
 >
 >You should really use \. and ^

Damn!  You are so right!  The only thing is that for the application I'm
referring to, you shouldn't use the ^ because that would block anything
before the "@" symbol as well.  It's better to just use the \.

regards,Will

   "I was going to be a Neo-Deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me..."

  multimedia laboratorium                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  institut fuer informatik                        (pgp id)        F703D035
  der universitaet zuerich                        (office) +41  1 635 4346
  winterthurerstr. 190                            (fax)    +41  1 635 6809
  ch-8057 zuerich                                 (mobile) +41 76 372 0913
  switzerland                                     www.ifi.unizh.ch/~harris

All,

I started) and ones like it on the mailing list, I've written what I hope
is the most comprehensive document available on anti-spam methodologies
from a qmail perspective.

  http://www.summersault.com/chris/techno/qmail/qmail-antispam.html

I think it would be great to have a definitive resource on the topic that
could be available from the main Qmail page, and I think this is a pretty
good start, so I'd like your feedback and suggestions for improvement.
(There is a comment section on the page itself, but if you can send your
comments to me/the list until it gets refined a little, that would be
great.)  Biased perspectives, spelling errors, bad syntax, poor form,
missing info; I want it all!  :)

Thanks,
Chris

-- Chris Hardie -----------------------------
----- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 04:07:43PM -0500, Chris Hardie wrote:

> (that I started) and ones like it on the mailing list, I've written
> what I hope is the most comprehensive document available on anti-spam
> methodologies from a qmail perspective.
>
>   http://www.summersault.com/chris/techno/qmail/qmail-antispam.html
>
> I think it would be great to have a definitive resource on the topic
> that could be available from the main Qmail page, and I think this is
> a pretty good start, so I'd like your feedback and suggestions for
> improvement.  (There is a comment section on the page itself, but if
> you can send your comments to me/the list until it gets refined a
> little, that would be great.)  Biased perspectives, spelling errors,
> bad syntax, poor form, missing info; I want it all!  :)

Looks good from the brief skim I've just taken through it - bookmarked.
;)

However it doesn't explain how to do do what I want. I want to check all
incoming messages to see if they're on DUL, ORBS, RSS, RBL or whatever
and if so add a header to the message, say an "X-Spam-Warning: DUL" or
the like. I know this is a trivial one line config option for Exim, but
I haven't seen anything for qmail to do this.

I know I could do something with procmail, but I want this to work even
for mail that's being forwarded or stored in a Maildir or whatever,
without the user having to do anything special.

Anybody any ideas?

J.

--
] http://www.earth.li/~noodles/ [] ///\oo/\\\ There are no more bugs.  [
] PGP/GPG Key @ keys.pgp.net or []        ///\oo/\\\ ///\oo/\\\        [

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:

> I want to check all incoming messages to see if they're on DUL, ORBS,
> RSS, RBL or whatever and if so add a header to the message, say an
> config option for Exim, but I haven't seen anything for qmail to do
> this.
>
> I know I could do something with procmail, but I want this to work even
> for mail that's being forwarded or stored in a Maildir or whatever,
> without the user having to do anything special.
>
> Anybody any ideas?

I think you'll have to implement some sort of filtering program.  Without
modifying the source of your smptd program, I think the first chance you
have to modify the message is in a dot-qmail file.

You can use things like procmail or maildrop as a local delivery agent for
an entire system.  From "man procmail":

       If running suid root or  with  root  privileges,  procmail
       will  be able to perform as a functionally enhanced, back-
       wards compatible mail delivery agent.

       Procmail can also be used as a general purpose  mail  fil-
       ter,  i.e. provisions have been made to enable procmail to
       be invoked in a special sendmail rule.

It seems you should be able to set things up so that all incoming mail is
passed through an "rblcheck" and additional headers appended when
appropriate.

I'm not sure about exact syntax, but man procmail seems like a good start.
Anyone else here done this before?  If you do come up with something, do
let me know and I'll include it in the HOWTO.

Chris

-- Chris Hardie -----------------------------
----- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------
-------- http://www.summersault.com/chris/ --

Is there a good way of changing the mode on all incoming messages to a certain user?
I need the messages to be read/writable by all members of the primary group and not
only to the user. I thought I could maybe do something in the .qmail file...
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jennifer

I installed qmail based on LWQ howto. The init script from LWQ doesn';t
contain any ulimit -v 2048 for example.
Should I put the ulimit command manually, to protect the qmail box from DoS
attack or not ?
Or supervise can do it automatically ?

-------
AFLHI 058009990407128029/089802---(102598//991024)

All mail form our sites today has been rejected. From the log i see
the following messages :

2000-04-04 15:48:55.710764500 delivery 1204: deferral:
Connected_to_128.11.68.59_but_greeting_failed./Remote_host_said:_421_S
MTP_service_not_available,_closing_transmission_channel/

2000-04-04 08:15:32.383778500 delivery 1002: deferral:
Connected_to_128.11.68.59_but_connection_died._(#4.4.2)/

Do i have to add something in order for my site to connect to yahoo ?
or may be somthing wrong with yahoo ? this problem occured this
morning only. B4 this we don't have any problem sending mails to
yahoo.

please let me know if i have to add something .. thanks

Ismal Hisham Darus wrote:

> All mail form our sites today has been rejected. From the log i see
> the following messages :
>
> 2000-04-04 15:48:55.710764500 delivery 1204: deferral:
> Connected_to_128.11.68.59_but_greeting_failed./Remote_host_said:_421_S
> MTP_service_not_available,_closing_transmission_channel/
>
> 2000-04-04 08:15:32.383778500 delivery 1002: deferral:
> Connected_to_128.11.68.59_but_connection_died._(#4.4.2)/
>
> Do i have to add something in order for my site to connect to yahoo ?
> or may be somthing wrong with yahoo ? this problem occured this
> morning only. B4 this we don't have any problem sending mails to
> yahoo.
>
> please let me know if i have to add something .. thanks
>
> Ismal Hisham Mohd Darus
> Asst. Manager, System Support
> John Hancock Life Insurance (Malaysia) Berhad

I talked to several email admins today and they all had the same
problem.
It looks like yahoo email was broken today.

--
Ken Jones
http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail/