At 4/14/2000 04:43 PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote or quoted:

>I need to get Win 98 clients to be able to send/recieve mail so i think
>that this means pop mail access.

You got it. (IMAP is a possibility, I suppose, but there are a great
variety of Windows clients that support POP3, and people are used to them.)

>1.  How do I create mail accounts to support pop3 access? is it system
>accounts on the mail server or qmail 'managed' accounts?  Howto in either case?

Either is possible. If you don't have too many users, system accounts on
the qmail machine is a fine way to go. Alternatively, you can use something
like the vpopmail system, available from http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail/.
However, if you're just running one domain, and have less than, say, a
hundred users, this is probably overkill.

Anyway, I have never used vpopmail and wouldn't even begin to think about
supporting someone else on its use. For normal system accounts, just create
the accounts in whatever way is standard for your system. (Probably
/usr/sbin/useradd or its moral equivalent -- use the man page to find out
about useful switches for useradd.)

NOTE: You may want to hold off on creating those accounts until you've set
up your skel directory, especially if you'll be delivering into Maildirs
(see below).

>2. Do I need to convert to Maildir from Mailbox to support pop
>authentication? Do I need to install checkpassword utility?  howto in
>either case?

You only *need* to convert to Maildir if you're planning to use Qmail's
supplied POP3 daemon (qmail-pop3d). It only understands Maildirs. If you
feel like downloading and installing a different POP3 daemon, such as
Qualcomm's qpopper or UW-IMAP, you can stick with mailbox delivery. Again,
I use qmail-pop3d, so further advice is predicated on that.

Using qmail-pop3d, you do need to use checkpassword to authenticate users.
(I *think* that's still the case with the others, too, but I'm not positive.)

Dave Sill's Life With Qmail (http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html) has
good instructions on setting up qmail-pop3d, in section 5.2.1.

If you want to use Maildirs, you'll probably want to set up your server so
that all new user accounts automatically get created with a proper Maildir
setup already in them. (Otherwise, qmail will defer all mail to any user
without a Maildir, for obvious reasons.) The easy way to do this is to do
something like:

    maildirmake /etc/skel

where /etc/skel is the usual location of the default user home-dir setup
files, and maildirmake may need to be preceded by the path to the
executable (usually /var/qmail/bin). Check on your system to be sure of the
appropriate locations.

Once you've set up a Maildir in the skel directory, all new user accounts
created after that will automatically have a Maildir in their home dirs,
and will receive mail naturally.

>3. Can I use MS Outlook at the Win98 clients to send / recieve mail via pop3

Sure. You can also use Eudora, Netscape Mail, PegasusMail, and any other
mail client that speaks POP3. The server doesn't care. You can even have
each user use a different one.

>4. What DNS entries does my ISP have to make on the authoritative DNS for
>my domain.
>
>The DNS entries at my ISP are currently:
>
>www.mydomain.com    IPADDRESS A
>mail.mydomain.com   IPADDRESS B
>mydomain.com        IPADDRESS B
>
> From reading, I believe I need an MX record as follows:
>MX  mydomain.com    IPADDRESS B

I am not a DNS expert, but that looks reasonable to me, except that you'll
want there to be an MX value as well -- usually around 10 for the primary
MX. If you have a backup MX designated, that would usually be 20.

>BTW is there a book out on qmail?

It's in the works.

                              Kai MacTane
                          System Administrator
                       Online Partners.com, Inc.
 From the Jargon File: (v4.0.0, 25 Jul 1996)

finger trouble /n./

Mistyping, typos, or generalized keyboard incompetence (this is
surprisingly common among hackers, given the amount of time they
spend at keyboards). "I keep putting colons at the end of statements
instead of semicolons", "Finger trouble again, eh?".