On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, MiGhi wrote:

> I tried and tried to install QMAIL 1.03 on Mandrake7.0 with NO SUCCESS!
> Something seems to work wrong on Mandrake, and qmail gives CNAME LOOKUP
> FAILURE.

I'm using Qmail under Mandrake right now, and have installed it a few
times, both via RPM and by compiling it right from the tarballs.

> I tried to reinstall the OS + qmail 5 times!
> The log said CNAME LOOKUP FAILURE every time!
>
> I tried to apply the DNS patch
> The log said CNAME LOOKUP FAILURE every time!
>
> I tried to change the router configuration:
> The log said CNAME LOOKUP FAILURE every time!
>
> I installed latest bind:
> The log said CNAME LOOKUP FAILURE every time!
>
> I installed RedHat:
> everything is working fine.
>

> Has someone got an idea about this?
> Has someone got the same problem?

I did have something similar.  Does qmail start for you?  Can it resolve
the MX for your domain?  The problem I had was in the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail-pop3d.init file with the programs called in the
HOST variable (specifically dnsfq).  I changed those calls to specify the
domain name on my system and then it started working.  Why it didn't work
before, I don't know, but after I made that change it did work.

If you install from tarballs, you use the qmail script (not any
qmail-*.init files which come from the tcpserver-initscripts package, I
believe), and I don't even think dnsfq is installed (at any rate, it's not
on my system), and things work fine.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
Freezer Burn BBS:  telnet://bbs.freezer-burn.org . ICQ: 54924721