Russell Nelson writes:
 > Is anyone using Krzysztof Dabrowski's cmd5checkpw with qmail-pop3d?
 > Yes, I know that he didn't write it for that, he wrote it for
 > smtp-auth.  But it looks to me like he's reversed the password and the
 > timestamp parameters to checkpassword.

Answering my own question, the answer seems to be that pop3 and
smtpd's md5 challenge-response algorithms are different, so you need
different checkpasswords (gratuitious incompatibilities :( ).  Still,
even though you can't reuse cmd5checkpw for anything else, it's got
the challenge and response backwards.  It works because the only code
that calls it *also* has the challenge and response backwards.  :)

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country