On Thu, 4 May 2000, Isaiah Chua wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> I've installed qMail for my office server and it runs fine - delivers mails and all
>that jazz. However, I'm getting only external mails out, and internal mails to users'
>mailboxes seem to die. Using /var/qmail/bin/makemaildir, I created a Maildir for
>myself in my home dir /home/isaiah. Mails do go there, but when I try to check my
>emails using POP3, nothing comes in.
>
> I've got this line in my /etc/inetd.conf
>
> pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait  qmaild  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
>/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d
>
> Is that correct? Or should I use

Totally incorrect. Uses qmaild as the user instead of root and doesn't
have the correct arguments.

> pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait  qmaild  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
>/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup mail.mydomainname.com /bin/checkpasswd pwd

Close. It should use root as the user. checkpasswd is spelled
incorrectly (should be checkpassword) and the Maildir argument doesn't
look correct.

What is the name of the Maildir you have created. The above
line assumes it is "pwd". IE did you create the Maildir using the
command

    /var/qmail/bin/maildirmake ~/pwd

Proably not. If instead you used

    /var/qmail/bin/maildirmake ~/Maildir

then change the inetd.conf entry to read (all on one line)

    pop-3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd
    /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup domain.domain /bin/checkpassword
    /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

where domain.domain is the name of your mail domain and Maildir is the
name of your Maildir.

then send a HUP signal to inetd.

This is covered in the FAQ that shups with qmail, question 5.3.

You should also consider using tcpserver (from Dan's ucspi-tcp package
http:/cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html) instead of inetd.

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
eServ. Pty Ltd                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"