On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 03:27:40PM -0400, Keith Warno wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> The continued discussions about the "love bug" and qmail "hacks" for dealing
> with it have me disturbed.  I won't knock djb; the man needs to write an OS
> one of these days.  :)  However there should be no need to "hack" qmail to
> get it to filter unwanted mail and I'm wondering if future versions of qmail
> will care.
>
> Dave Sill's "general approach" for filtering is, well... I couldn't help but
> crack up when I read it [01].  This is by no means intended to be offensive;
> it's just funny to read that a *possible* solution for getting qmail to do
> what I want is to install it twice.

I presume you understood Dave to mean run two instances of qmail, not merely
to install and re-install.  Once instance would accept the mail, filter it and
pass it off to the other instance for delivery. Of course you knew that, you
just fine it funny for some reason.

Also, having a mail gateway is fairly common corporate practise, so having
a qmail instance as a gateway with a global filtering strategy is pretty trivial
by delivering thru ~alias/.qmail-default then forwarding on.

Finally, there *is* a well defined interface at which all mail going thru
qmail can be filtered. It's called qmail-queue. Nothing is stopping any
enterprising person or organization from writing or commercializing a filtering
system that wraps qmail-queue. It could even be written to provide the same
interface as the filtering API that sendmail now deploys so those commercial
filters could be transparently used with either MTA.

Regards.