On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 09:49:22PM +0300, Mikko Hänninen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if qmail will also lowercase the non-ASCII (or, "high
> ASCII", 8bit) characters in local email addresses?  For example, if
> I create ~alias/.qmail-mikko:hänninen, will this catch both
> mikko.hänninen@myserver and MIKKO.HÄNNINEN@myserver, or do I need to
> have two .qmail files?

You will need two. This is the exact code:

  while (x = *s) {
    x -= 'A';
    if (x <= 'Z' - 'A') *s = x + 'a';
    ++s;
  }

(there is another version for fixed-length strings, which does the same
 conversion).

This code only converts A-Z to a-z, all else is left alone.

> I looked in the man pages, but the only reference I could find to
> lowercasing was in dot-qmail, which said simply that qmail will convert
> upper case letters to lower case.

Yeah well since it doesn't support LOCALE 'n stuff, it can't now which
characters are special in your country.

Oh, and Breyten says hi :)

Greetz, Peter.
--
Peter van Dijk - student/sysadmin/ircoper/madly in love/pretending coder