From: Eric Cox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2000 5:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help me understand "allowed rcpthosts"

James wrote:

> I've been mulling through various how-to's and qmail help pages.. but I
> still don't quite understand what rcpthosts is about.
>
> If I am wrong, correct me.  rcpthosts is where you place the domain
> addresses of the people you want to allow relaying.  If this is correct,
> then I understand that part.
>
> But.. what controls the ability for anyone to send me an email at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]?  How does joe-blow send me an email??  How does relaying
> and receiving mail relate to each other?  All I want is to get mail from
> anyone, but not have anyone use my server as a relay.  If anyone is
> sending me an email, I get this error:
>
> "reason: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
> (#5.7.1)"

If you get this error when somene sends mail to a _local_ user, then qmail
is confused about which domains are the local ones, and thinks that the
recipent's domain is a remote one.  It's saying to the SMTP client
"hmm...the
domain to which you are trying to send mail isn't in my control/locals file,
so you must be asking me to relay a message to a remote host for you. Hold
on, I'll check my control/rcpthosts file for permission to do that.....Hey!
That domain isn't in my control/rcpthosts file either!  Get outa here you
damn spammer!!!"

> Of course, I have read up on the FAQ's and all this tells me is that I am
> not allowing that domain ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) to use my server as a
> relay, right?

Nope, when someone tries to send mail to a local user, that's not relaying.
I suspect the problem is that you do not have your local domain setup
properly
in control/locals, so qmail believes your local domain is really a remote
one.

Eric