Suresh Kumar R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 1. I dont want all students having a valid nis account to have an email
> address. The email addresses facility should be for a subset of the NIS
> data base. How can it be done? I assume that the qmail server should be
> a nis client/server and there is no other way.

Read qmail-users; you can either explicitly list the users that should
receive mail or list the exceptions who shouldn't.  Note that when running
qmail-pw2u, you'll want to replace < /etc/passwd with ypcat passwd | or
the like.

> 2. Should the nis server and qmail be running on the same machine
> physically?

Probably not.  It's generally a good rule of thumb to run one major
service per machine if you can.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>