On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 03:36:32PM -0700, Chin Fang wrote:
> An example (which Dr. Bernstein has waned in qmail-smtpd man page in
> subtle ways): qmail-smtpd in general is quite small - 1.5 MB or less.
> However, if a newbie ISP admin comes in and slaps up a big rcpthosts
> (rather than a morercpthosts in cdb format), then qmail-smtpd can be
> as big as say 10MB or bigger, combined with high CPU utliization!
>
> To understand this, one needs to read the source code of both
> qmail-smtpd.c and control.c, and see what control_readfile() (a linear
> search) does.

Ok, we have a "huge" rcpthosts file (no "morercpthosts")
   about 21,700 lines, 350 KB
This makes about 10,000 domains, 2 lines for each domain, usual setup.
The smtpd has a RSS of about 1.5 MB.
To go for 10 MB the rcpthosts file would hold about 2.5 million domains.
Not a task for a single machine and a newbie ISP admin I'd say.

We have about 45,000 - 50,000 incoming smtp connects per day.
Each incoming messages generates an extra local delivery to an awk
script to log additional accounting information.

The machine is a P686/300MHz, 128 MB RAM running FreeBSD 2.2.2-R
and besides SMTP relay (this is a "dispatcher" mailer) it also runs
"dial smtp" deliveries for some 50 hosts every 3 minutes via serialsmtp
(and yes, we have ETRN also).

I have just checked the monitoring data for the last month and the CPU
load is rarely, really rarely higher than 1.5 in a 15 minutes average
(taken from "uptime", monitored every 3 minutes).

So please, measure, don't speculate.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you