On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Jasper Jans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed qmail but I cant get it to run properly.
> The system is a Sun Solaris E250 running Sol 7.
> /var/adm/messages gives me this:
> May 30 04:19:41 uxtrav03 unix: NOTICE: qmail-queue, uid 100: setuid
> execution not allowed, dev=800004
> May 30 04:53:11 uxtrav03 unix: NOTICE: qmail-queue, uid 333: setuid
> execution not allowed, dev=800004
> May 30 05:05:00 uxtrav03 unix: NOTICE: qmail-queue, uid 0: setuid
> execution not allowed, dev=800004

Looks like the file system is mounted with the nosuid option. What
does /etc/vfstab say for the /var filesystem (or whatever is the root of
the filesystem holding /var/qmail). If it has domething like

    -o nosuid

then that tells the kernel not to honour the setuid bits on files. SO
even if the permissions are correct, qmail-queue will NEVER be
executed with an effective user id of qmailq.

You can also do the following

    mount | grep /var

You'll need to remount the file system without the nosuid option.

BE CAREFUL. This may have other security implications on YOUR system.
I can't say what they are because I don't know what else is in your
system.

Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Consultant                        or at present:
eServ. Pty Ltd                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +61 2 9206 3410                      Fax: +61 2 9281 1301

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"