> (for now. :)
>
> I spoke too soon when I said things were working last time. There
> were still
> multiple deliveries.
>
> I've finally solved all problems involved by doing:
>
>   .qmail-default:
>     | /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This works as it should?  I don't remember that I saw part
of code which resolves external address in vdelivermail
source. (IE. This will NOT work.)

Most probably you want to setup dotqmail file for each
real user in domain and set up these files:

.qmail-default
&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

.qmail-mgmt
&[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 | /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' u2
 | /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' u3

.qmail-u1
&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This will work because all user which don't have their dotqmail
file gets rewritten to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>   .qmail-mgmt:
>     | /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     | /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' u2
>     | /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' u3
>   .qmail-u1:
>     | /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> If I stick the config from .qmail-mgmt into .qmail-default (which SHOULD
> work!),

No it shouldn't!  You badly misunderstood how vpopmail works.
qmail-local doesn't deliver to <domain>/<user>/Maildir directly, it doesn't
know about them, all the work is left to vdelivermail (which has to be
in .qmail-default if you want to deliver mail localy).  Vdelivermail lookup
user for each delivered mail in database and if user exist it puts mail
into <domain>/<user>/Maildir/.  So if you have three vdelivermail lines
in .qmail-default, vdelivermail is run three times and deliver mail three
times.

> everything blows up and I always get three copies of
> everything. (If I remove one of the lines, I get two copies of
everything.)
> So it would appear to have something to do with having multiple lines in
> .qmail-default and *something* else in my setup. Whatever...

Other solution would be to (over)talk iv0 to change vdelivermail behaviour
so it returns error code (99 I think) on successful delivery, so one can
write .qmail-default like this:

.qmail-default
|<path_to>/vdelivermail
&[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (or something like that ... ie. qmail-local should understand it)

But I don't think this is a good idea.  I maybe able to do it for you
for something small. (postcard or rather chocolate or two ;-)
(In case I will have time to do it.)

--
Ondrej Sury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>