On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 12:06:55PM -0400, Len Budney wrote:
> Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > He's not. I've spoken to him on several occasions and he is quite
> > clueful.
>
> Not to restart another perennial flame-war, but why then does he
> blacklist people who block his probes? Is it really his intention to
> provide the service of blacklisting both a) open relays and b) people
> who disagree with him?

ORBS is not enforcing any policy on anyone.

And to answer your second question: yes, those are 2 of the services he
provide. However, any admin is free to use none, either or both of these
services. If you want documented open relays blocked but don't care about
sites that block ORBS themselves, you are free to do so.

Check http://www.orbs.org/usingindex.html for slightly more info.

> If he is clueful, then his ethics come into question. He's better off
> being thought clueless, in my book.

I see no problems with his ethics. What he does (and _all_ he does) is test
machines for relaying, and if they do, list them _as_such_. If a machine
blocks his probes, it is listed as one that blocks his probes, NOT as an
open relay. It is up to systems administrators to decide for themselves
what to block and what not.

I question the ethics of any admin blocking ORBS.

Greetz, Peter.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - Peter van Dijk [student:developer:madly in love]