Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yep. See /var/qmail/doc/PIC.local2alias. alias will get control of mail only
>if a user account doesn't exist.

>>  But why one alias, ~alias/.qmail-mail, works fine?  That was where I got
>>  confused and started to ask ... ;-)

> I don't know, and couldn't tell you without looking at your whole setup. But
> if there's an account called "mail" and there's nothing in users/assign that
> says otherwise, ~alias/.qmail-mail won't do anything. If it works in your
> case, then something isn't exactly as you described.

I could be wrong, but it might be because something about those "regular
accounts" is funny, and qmail doesn't consider it a valid account.  The
rules qmail-getpw uses are (from the manpage):

  qmail-getpw considers an account in /etc/passwd  to  be  a user  if (1) the
  account  has  a  nonzero  uid, (2) the account's home directory exists (and is
  visible to  qmail- getpw),  and  (3)  the  account  owns  its home directory.
  qmail-getpw ignores  account  names  containing  uppercase letters

So if "mail" or "web" has a non-existent home directory, or one they don't
own, the ~alias/.qmail- files might work for those accounts.

Charles
--
Cazabon                            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> GPL'ed software