well, what i decided to do was switch to qpopper and use the
--enable-home-dir-mail=Mailbox and it worked fine.

now one thing that i don't understand is the rcpthosts file.
it seems like it would be a file that would decide who gets to use
qmail as the SMTP server, but when i try to send a message to somewhere
like freak.net, it tells me that the address is not in the rcpthosts
file.  so is this to say where you can send to?  do they have something
for address that can use the SMTP server?  are they one in the same?
i put '.net' in the rcpthosts file and it sent fine.
thanks,