Brian Sweeney wrote:

> hello all-
>
> I've just recently completed an install of a new mailserver running qmail.
> I've got some other linux boxes laying around, and I would like to load test
> the mailserver over the weekend.  Does anyone have suggestions for software
> or scripts, perhaps using perl or expect, that will connect to the smtp port
> remotely, send some mail to x users, wait a bit, and connect to the pop
> port, check the mail for those users, and then delete it?  I coded some
> perl/expect hybrid script to do it, but it doesn't work right (I used
> autoexpect, so I'm not surprised).  Any suggestions?  Last time I did this I
> ended up just perl scripting a call to qmail-inject for 4 different users,
> and setting up a normal pop client to check mail every 1 minute.  The client
> crashed and the sends didn't actually use the smtp port though so it wasn't
> a real test.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Brian

Hey Brian,
I did a web search and finally found some source code written in C by the guys
at Stalker Software (Communigate Pro) used to test smtp and pop loads...  I
compiled it on a linux box and used the programs to test a linux/Qmail server
before I dropped it into a production environment a few months ago.  This should
be exactly what you are looking for...

Here's their webpage:
http://www.stalker.com/MailTests/

Hope this helps ;)

--

S. Clint Bullock
Network Administrator

begin:vcard
n:Bullock;Clint
tel;fax:(706) 542-5946
tel;work:(706) 542-5936
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ovpr.uga.edu
org:University of Georgia;Office of the Vice President for Research
adr:;;626 Boyd GSRC;Athens;GA;30602-7411;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Network Administrator
fn:Clint Bullock