> > **** Neither does maildirmake $HOME/Maildir, although the command
> > maildirmake is there.
>
> Are you running it as the user the maildir is for ?
> >> as root, and it was working on the root user.  Then I tried the
> >>~username/Maildir and it worked for the other 3 users.
It shouldn't, you'll run into problems later on !!
The ~username/Maildir **needs** to be owned by username ....
If it's not, qmail **won't** deliver mail

** OK, I went back and chown the directories to their user-owners.
The owner was root, like you said.
The command maildirmake $HOME/Maildir. Should it be run by the user only? I
was thinking this was an administrative command for setting up all users
with a ~user/Maildir.
I did a maildirmake /usr/share/skel/Maildir and then added a user.  It did
create the ~user/Maildir and its subs with the proper owner and rights.
drwx.  So I think that is straight now.
The other command that I ran, I dont completely understand, so I couldn't
verify that it worked properly.  echo ./Maildir/> ~/.qmail
I executed this from the same place I executed the other commands.
/var/qmail/bin
It seems like maybe I should have been in the users directory?  What does
this actually do?

I can send mail from all users, including root.  Local send and Internet
send.
I can reply to message to all users except root.  Anytime I send to root,
the log says un 24 19:46:38 ns1 qmail: 961893998.351162 delivery 56:
deferral: Unable_to_ope
n_./Mailbox:_access_denied._(#4.2.1)/
Jun 24 19:46:38 ns1 qmail: 961893998.351423 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

I guess I didn't get /Mailbox switched to Maildir.  I figured I could fix
that in a bit. I have been looking in ~user/Mailbox to see if the messages
are being received.
The docs had me modify my rc file, then later had me copy
/var/qmail/boot/home to /var/qmail/rc which overwrote my previous edit of
./Maildir instead of ./Mailbox. I'll go and fix that now.
Here is the file before I edit it.
#!/bin/sh

# Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
# Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Mailbox by default.

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail
***
I am changing this line to :
qmail-start ./Maildir splogger qmail
Is the splogger qmail correct?

ONE MORE:
Where should the ~alias/Mailbox be, and who should be the owner.
Basic alias, ie.. Postmaster, MAILER-DAEMON, root.
All I did according to the doc was touch ~alias/.qmail-postmaster,
~alias/.qmail-mailer-daemon, ~alias/.qmail-default and ~alias/.qmail-root.
Then I chmod 644 qmail.*
These empty files are in /var/qmail/alias.  They are 0 byte files. Do they
need something in them relating to the alias?  The doc says look at
dot-qmail.0 for details, but the file has a bunch of characters just thrown
in where some of the important stuff is, and I don't want to make any
changes where I don't know what I am doing. I have to do some reading on man
to make it find the file where it is now.  It is still in the src diretory.
For some reason, it didn't get copied over to the regular man directories.

I hate to ask so many questions, but it is one of the best ways to figure
these things out.  My experience is with Novell/NT and desktops.  This is my
first stab at Unix.

I want to go back, if the original writer of the Install documents doesn't
mind and do a modification of these documents for FreeBSD 4.0, in
particular.  I know I would have been glad to get my hands on something like
this before I got started.
I already have a bunch of documentation on setting up Apache 1.3.12 that I
want to put out for some other people to get ahold of.  I find alot of
people asking the same questions that I had trouble with. Same thing with
DNS.  I am going to take my other PIII 600 and setup a second box with this
one to reference when I do a final re-write on the install differences for
FreeBSD.  It was mostly diretory differences and file name differences, but
it sure makes it easy when the doc says go here and edit this, and it is
really there to be edited.

Thanks for everyones comments.  I really appreciate the help.  I hope to
help others in return.  When I get finished with the docs that I am going to
re-write for FreeBSD, I'll send some periodic mails to the list so others
will know where to find them.

Thanks again,
Mark Thomas.
Special thanks to you, Steffan Hoeke...