-----Original Message-----
From: Steffan Hoeke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000 12:51 AM
To: Mark Thomas
Subject: Re: INSTALL.maildir - Clairification please!

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 05:02:02PM -0500, Mark Thomas wrote:

> [...]
Hmm, my gut tells me that's not the way to go ;)
 Right Again.  I thought it was working, but after remming it out, it still
was loading anyway from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/qmail.sh  which is a symbolic
link to /var/qmail/rc.  But I think the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/qmail.sh is what
is actually running on startup. I think this because I copied a "batch file"
that I had wrote over to the directory and gave it a .sh extension, and it
runs on boot. This is what is in the rc file.
#!/bin/sh
# Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
# Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Mailbox by default.

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail&

I had to add the & after qmail on the second line, because it would not
complete loading (ie.. apache loads just before qmail, and it would just sit
there loading apache and never move.  I had to hit ctrl-c to get it to the
login prompt, and this was unloading the qmail rc.  Also why I thought it
was running out of inetd.conf. Does your rc file have the & at the end?
I have to take another stab at converting over to ./Maildir.  When I change
the rc file over to ./Maildir, all mail works outbound, but I have trouble
on inbound.
Root still says access denied on ./Maildir when he receives a message and my
other users says that ./Maildir is a directory and errors out.  The
conversion looks pretty simple, I have to look again at the changes I made.

MarkT.

> You mention 2 features you need help with maildir2mbox is one,
> what's the other ? (the rc file(s)?)
> (( gaaack ))
> ((Until your MUA supports maildir, you'll probably want to convert maildir
> ((format to (gaaack) mbox format. I've supplied a maildir2mbox utility
> ((that does the trick, along with some tiny qail and elq and pinq wrappers
> ((that call maildir2mbox before calling Mail or elm or pine.
> ((I was trying to use man to look at some "I think manuals" in the
> /var/qmail/bin ((diretory, but you couldn't hardly read them.  Some of the
> syntax was blurbed out.
>
> What's the problem with maildir2mbox ?
> I'm not sure how to use it!  I have it in my /var/qmail/bin directory.
There are wrappers for mail, elm and pine in /var/qmail/bin called qail, elq
and pinq.
they automagically call maildir2mbox before starting mail, elm or pine ....

I guess the reason I thought it wasn't working, was the fact that mail was
not seing the mail in ./Mailbox anymore, but it is actually qmail now and
not sendmail  ???

Markt

 Greetz,
  Steffan